With the opportunities that abound in new and emerging media, here are a few criteria for sellers who wish to get the attention from the world’s biggest advertisers and their agencies and persuade them of the value of their property:
- What is it now? What might it be? What are the constraints? Is that reach unique or of particular value?
- Is this a fad, a trend, or a structural change to user behavior?
- What behaviour might it complement or replace?
- What might participating do to our reputation?
- What insight might we gain about the conversation surrounding our brand, category or audience?
- How can we influence that conversation and at what price?
- Is this a marketing channel, or a channel to market, or both, or neither?
- Is its value in the short or long term effect of marketing?
- What part of the purchase funnel might this site affect?
- Which sales channel might this site affect? Is there a direct link to trial?
- Is there a direct link to retail?
- What proxy for a sale (what ‘revenue event’) could we stimulate?
- Is there some advantage to being a first mover?
- What is the price of entry?
- What are the comparables?
- What is the minimum investment required for learning?
- What is the minimum investment required for sales effect?
- What measurement criteria are practical?
- What is the best way to make our commercial communication work? Should we engage as advertiser or sponsor? Should we integrate product or content? Should we create a community, or just join one?
All these aspects are worth considering, in a market of near infinite choice the information bar is set to high.